Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Nap Debacle

I am entering a new phase with Dane. It's that totally frustrating transition time when what was once a perfectly timed out and dependable nap schedule is now a "Who the hell knows when he'll nap!" non-schedule.

Last week I could tell you exactly when he would nap and pretty much down to the minute what time he would wake up. It was perfect! There were these chunks during the day when I could really indulge myself be say showering and taking the time to shave my legs or hopping on the treadmill for awhile or even answering an email or two.

For 5 days in a row the morning nap disappeared. I would put him down and listen to him scream while I tried to shower as fast as I could before I gave up and went and got him out of bed. I finally decided to accept my fate that at 14 months Dane had outgrown the morning nap. Yesterday I set my alarm for 5 a.m. so that I could shower and dress before the boys got up. Yesterday he took a two hour morning nap. Today I set my alarm for 5 a.m., right now he is 45 minutes into his morning nap. Are you kidding me??

So now what do I do? Continue getting up early just in case? Or do I assume that those days were a fluke and we are back on track? I just don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I do enjoy that chunk of me time in the a.m. ; when Drew's at school and Dane is sleeping. But on the other hand I was getting a little excited about all the things Dane and I could do. Just today I was hoping to make it to the Toddler Story Time at our library.

The only thing I know for sure is that at all times one of my boys are keeping me on my toys. They are doing a great job of it too!

1 comment: