Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Future Reality TV Star??

Two things happened recently that have made me think that Drew has a future in Reality TV. First I stumbled upon the TV show Hoarders on A&E. Has anyone else seen this. They go into the home's of compulsive hoarders. The episode I watched spent a great deal of time showing you just how horrifying it was; how these people were literally climbing over piles of junk to get to the toilet etc. Then they bring in a psychologist and a professional organizer and they get to work simultaneously traumatizing the homeowner and throwing everything out. It was one of those shows that I just couldn't turn away from even though I knew I should.

Then a couple of days later Drew and I went into his room to work on cleaning it up together. I was pulling piles and piles of stuffed animals off his bed to change his sheets when I suggested we get rid of some of them. It was ridiculous. He was sleeping in about 1/5 of his bed space because the rest was taken up with animals. Even suggesting this brought on the tears and the explanations of why each and every animal was so important. That's when I started having visions of an older Drew standing in the middle of a house completely full to the brim with stuffed animals. Clutching desperately to a ratty stuffed dog saying "No I can't throw it away I won this at the county fair in 2010! It's special to me!" This is going to be my son, I know it. Do you think the people that are on Hoarders get paid well? Maybe he could make a career out of it. When he's in college he can go on The Real World as the freak who still sleeps with stuffed animals and then when he's 40 and single he can move up to Hoarders!


After the trauma we cut the number of animals on his bed down to 17.
I'm nothing if not a supportive parent so I guess if this is the path he must take then I'll get on board. Stuffed animals as presents for every holiday from here on out!

Dane's crib. Will this be a family thing? The Iverson brothers-in-hoarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment