Monday, October 5, 2009

Heading to Hood River

This weekend we enjoyed one of my absolute favorite family traditions. We drove north to spend a day in Hood River. I should explain that I am absolutely and irrevocably in love with Hood River and the surrounding area. Every time we visit I spend the whole time fantasizing about living there. If I could have it my way we would buy an old creaky yet charming house right near downtown. We would be able to walk every time we wanted to visit a coffee shop or cafe or bookstore. Oh and we would buy all our produce directly from one of the hundreds of orchards near by and spend hot summer days frolicking in the Columbia River. So just to keep my hope alive we visit at least once a year and do as many of those things as possible.

This weekend we hit Rasmussen Farms a totally adorable orchard that offers tons of apples and pears for sale along wtih a free corn maze and pumpkin bowling for kids. Then after that we headed downtown. This weekend was the second annual Hops Fest so Brian was giddy with excitement to get down there. This event was advertised as "family friendly" but I should have known that any event revolving around alcohol is not truly family friendly. The small section they had for kids took us about 5 minutes to go through and then the boys were officially bored. So Brian and I decided to part ways for a couple of hours. I left him there to sample micro-brews and mingle while the boys and I walked around town.

As usual we had a great time and as usual I had a huge longing in my heart as we drove away. Who knows, maybe someday I'll get to live out my fantasy of being a Hood River resident. Or maybe Hood River could never live up to my expectations and its just better that I dream about it. Either way our annual trek up north is one family tradition that I will make sure we hang on to no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment