Friday, November 6, 2009

Going Old School

This morning I had a moment with Drew where I had absolutely had it. Had it! I was nearing that moment of losing my temper and along with it any parental effectiveness I might have. But before I could; I had a flashback. I saw myself sitting at the kitchen table writing sentences over and over and over again. Usually it was the definition of a word like "kindness" or "lying". Sometimes it was an apology note. It wasn't a discipline tool my parents used often but it definitely made its impact. So I figured I had nothing to lose and I tried it.

I made Drew sit at the kitchen table and write out "Do Not Pick Up Dane" ten times. The history behind this sentence is that I have to tell Drew at least 20 times a day not to pick up his brother. Dane is getting too heavy for Drew and I can pretty much count on the fact that he'll get dropped and sometime he gets really hurt. Since Drew is only in Kindergarten and just starting to write, I wrote it out first in yellow highlighter and made him trace it. I figured I'm getting a two for one here. He's hopefully burning this rule into his little head and practicing his letters at the same time.

Was it affective? Did it work? I don't know but I did have to chuckle a little at the sight of him hunched over his paper, pencil in hand working so diligently on his punishment. After he was done I asked him if he thought he would have an easier time remembering now that he wrote the rule so many times. His response "I don't know. Maybe we should hang it up on the wall so I can look at it and remember". That's a good sign right?

No comments:

Post a Comment